Saturday, January 30, 2016

Sequel to Captain January, Star Bright

I want to include an illustration by Frank T. Merrill, who contributed much to what appearance should be like – he illustrated a version of the Louisa May Alcott books.

 
 
 
Returned an Interlibrary Loan Book - a sequel to Captain January, by Laura E. Richards, the novel two movies were based on, one that starred Shirley Temple.  (Whose face is on a stamp now, Shirley Temple.)  The story advanced to a young lady raised in the affluent New York home of her aunt, in a time of romantic associations.  Her language often returns to the three books of her early reader years, the Bible, The Dictionary, and Shakespeare.   At the end of the story she is returned to her seaside home and she sings "Where the Bee Sucks, There Suck I"(from The Tempest):
Where the bee sucks, there suck I:   /  In a cowslip’s bell I lie;
There I couch when owls do cry.   /  On the bat’s back I do fly
After summer merrily.    /  Merrily, merrily shall I live now
Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.

No comments: