Friday, January 8, 2016

Poem to bring to the Open Mike at King's Books

Computer Art of Internet Capture
1926, Bale's Café to the left
January in the second week brings a reading of the Distinguished Writer Series to King's Books.  So I have looked around for a poem to bring.  And find I would like to include this work on the topic of the Tacoma Art Event during 2015, the Re-release of the film,  The Eyes of the Totem. 

Poem
Can it be ten years
since Connie and Karen Havnaer and I
Stayed at the Tyee Motor Inn
during readings at Green Bank Farms
on Whidby Island?

So much of my early plans
were about the side trip I did the day before
to Stanwood, the Stanwood Hotel
where My father worked in 1925.

I found a news paper ad for the hotel
that called their cafe Ted's Cafe... 

last year, At an Eyes of the Totem
book talk about Songs of Willow Frost,
Jamie Ford stepped toward
us and took a photo for Facebook.


I identified my self the next day,
an edge of a person behind
the previous row.  Jamie Ford dated his chapter
The Eyes of the Totem 1924,
the mistake is easy to trace 

to the origin of the Weaver Studios.
In Willow Frost, a Catholic Orphanage.

1924 – the year of the initiative
to abolish private education. 

Backed by the Ku Klux Klan
it attacked Catholics
but brought together Catholics
and Lutherans into a common interest.) 

In my father's tapes
he worked at Bale's Cafe after it opened
Bale's Cafe at 905 Pacific Avenue, 

would be at the edge
of a still I Captured from
an Eyes of the Totem trailer. 

The clearly visible building
where the city history group has
a display and office, this is

the block where my father worked.
He was at Bales Cafe in nineteen-twenty-six
three months, then worked 

for three weeks at the Tacoma Hotel,

just beside the Totem Pole
where the melodrama star 

holds out a beggar's tin cup
to everyone who goes by. 

So at the movie I look
at all the faces and along the streets
to see if my father appears. 

He went back to University of Washington
School of Pharmacy in the autumn.

No comments: