Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Laura Jensen: Diary Excerpts from Copenhagen 1990

Some extracts from the notes I kept in a dairy about the trip to Scandinavia in 1990.  I arrived in the morning.  After I rested at the hotel on April 18th I went to the NyGlyptotech:

”…a room long and narrow with a glass case of french sculpture, horses on a shelf below a shelf of acrobats and dancers, all in wide high leg raises and arm circles, the horses very fine – I stepped from that small dark into a gallery room and plunged and stumbled down two steps.  My Frommer's  thudded to the floorboards but I sprawled out & kept myself from falling. 
                Then I was Copenhagen – was the sky-lit figures we see and circle – I was Copenhagen – the loud buses and small autos racketing in traffic.  I was the sight and the small hazard and the thud of work and industry.
                Several women turned and noticed me and one spoke.  A soft, cushioned stumble of thuds and lugage bundles thundering the floorboards.  A sight unusual, surprizing, I astonished them so momentarily.  
                To make the impression.  And I felt the humility of the inevitable emergence from the shelf of dancers, the shelf of horses.  To trip out, over-padded, clumsy, and dropping things.      The Glyptotech was free on Wednesdays.”
I took a bus to a suburban marsh.
On the 19th I saw the Hans Christian Anderson  – "the drawings by Hans Christian Anderson were in the basement – very nice contrast, pencil & ink miniatures beside the Thorvaldsen Collection." 

Friday April 20, 1990
                “Before Breakfast I tried two drawings near the Tycho Brahe planetarium.  Cold & windy.  One glove, the green US army seconds, fell back of the bench, down into bushes.  I had to balance on the pavement edge, hold on to the bench which was bolted down, and reach in to get the glove.”
I went to the Riksarkivit – “The building had an entry, then a pale space with a winding pale stair.  On a landing was a door with rondel glass windows.  All in colors.  In the reading room entry were wood panel cupboards like wardrobes for belongngs and a counter where one signed in.”  

No comments: