Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Linnea Gord Diary, July 27th, 28th, 29th, 1930 - Goodbye to Vasa

SUNDAY, JULY 27TH, 1930   -   We all went to Norrskär today.  There we had a very nice time, although the weather was rather unsettled.  Wwe danced and sang and drank coffee.  Then we all went out in the field and ate lunch and rested.  We had to go home early because there was to be a Soare at the hall in the evening.  We had great fun coming home on the boat.

The Soare was swell! I had every dance, and altho it was so crowded that we could hardly budge, and hot!  I enjoyed myself, because it was the last dance I was to go to in Finland.  They certainly know how to give you a good time in Finland.
MONDAY,  JULY 28TH, 1930  -   Arvid and I went to visit Clara Brannback's moster and faster today.  We had dinner at the faster's and we had a very nice time at both places.  The little girl, Martha, (Clara'a cousin) looks just like Clara.
Lasse and Paul, whitewashing
When we got home, Lasse and Paul were all white from whitewashing, so I took a picture of the "vita gubbar".  Then Paul went ot the post office and we all had letters from the girls, which we proceeded to read.  I also had a letter from home.
The boys amused us in the evening by talking about military school.  We all sat on the floor and drank citron soda and laughed.  I had made a resolution that I was going to stay up until three o'clock that last night, but I got too sleepy, and hit the hay at 2 o'clock.
TUESDAY, JULY 29TH, 1930  -  We were busy packing today, so we didn't do much of anything else.  We had several visitors who came to say good-bye to us.
At about 5:30 Gunnar Herrgard came after us in the bus, and after saying goodbye to Farmor, Lise, Sylvie and Bertha, and after taking some pictures, we all piled in our "special" bus and left Malax.  Gee! it was hard to leave, knowing that it would be a long, long time beore I would ever be there again.  There were quite a few of us -- Lars, Paul, Bror, Auntie, Arvid, Mr. Svedberg, Gunnar, Gustaf, Anna Melin, Miss Peterson, another girl and I, besides our suitcases, and two enormous boxes of strawberries presented to us by Anna.  We had a great time on the way in, just like we had when the girls left.  When we got to the station Helge met us, and we all went to Stahls cafe for coffee.  Amelia met us there, and she had roses for Auntie and I.  After coffee, we strolled down to the station.  We had about fifteen minutes left, so we all talked a blue streak.  I kept teasing Paul about our crying in "kapp".  We also took a few pictures there.  After fond farewells, our train finally pulled out, taking me away from new friends and old, loved ones and dear one.  Goodbye to Vasa!
Marie's grandmother in front
 
We tried to enjoy ourselves by eating strawberries, but it didn't help much.  We had a real nice apartment, with wonderful beds.  The room had thick rugs on the floor, big mirrors, all sorts of lights, a little table, and nice wide beds with real linen sheets.  However, in spite of all the comfort, I didn't sleep much.  I had too much to think about!  About what I was leaving, and the excitement of meeting the people in Sweden, etc.
So Linnea Gord and her Aunt Marie Malm left Marie’s own home behind and started on their trip to Sweden, where they would stay with Linnea Father’s Side of the family.

No comments: