Sunday, January 29, 2012

Robert Frost's poem, Tree At My Window

During the storm the tree near my unit was weighted down by the ice storm and fell. I am reminded of an earlier tree at a window, a pine, that was destroyed by a neighbor during an episode of change for the parking at the building he owned next door. I remember telling him the tree had been on the side of the grass where I rented, and that cutting it had been a mistake. I was not as unhappy as I have been at other events similar. I found a descriptive word for this - a "righteous tantrum", in an article in Seattle Weekly.

At a certain point a ruby crowned kinglet briefly lit on a branch of a different small tree near another window.

Tree At My Window by Robert Frost

Tree at my window, window tree,
/My sash is lowered when night comes on;
/But let there never be curtain drawn
/Between you and me.
/Vague dream-head lifted out of the ground,
/And thing next most diffuse to cloud,
/Not all your light tongues talking aloud
/Could be profound.
/But tree, I have seen you taken and tossed,
/And if you have seen me when I slept,
/You have seen me when I was taken and swept
/And all but lost.
/That day she put our heads together,
/Fate had her imagination about her,
/Your head so much concerned with outer,
/Mine with inner, weather.

No comments: