Thursday, October 26, 2017

Hunger, by Roxane Gay, Tacoma Reads Together

This morning on the way to the volunteer job I attended the coffee shop office hours of one of my elected officials, Laurie Jinkins.  She co-moderated with Mayor Marilyn Strickland the book discussion last week at Wheelock Library; the large circle at the meeting room in the old McCormick Library section filled the whole floor area.  Many participants spoke about Hunger by Roxane Gay, the choice for Tacoma Reads Together by Marilyn Strickland.  

Office hours, relocated from an ice cream place to Connie's Donuts.  After a little walk I got in line and spoke to Laurie Jinkins.  I mentioned my comment at the book discussion, that I had read A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway when I was a page at McCormick Library so long ago, and from some characteristics of the writing in Hunger, I wondered if Roxane Gay was influenced by the work of Gertrude Stein.  


Ann Dasch, Leg. Assistant, Laurie Jinkins
Laurie Jinkins had not remembered my comment, and said she wished she had been able to ask
about influences at the reading last night at Lincoln High School. I had not been able to register until the seats had all been taken.  Laurie Jinkins said the event went very well, all the seats had been taken, only a few were left.  The response to the author and her perfomance was wonderful, and it was a good event.  


Another citizen awaited at the small round tables, and across the street my bus arrived almost as soon as I reached the stop.  On to the volunteer job at PLU Archives.

No comments: