Friday, December 18, 2015

Old Beautiful Trees Gone, Many Thoughts

Tree Removal Dec 18, 2015
No, I do not know why it happens that it is not that easy.   I wrote to the Urban Forest at the City of Tacoma,  “…they kept the goodwill of everyone as they built, but their intentions were really something entirely different from what did appear to be a project that was including the large old trees.” Those are my feelings, but there are many feelings. 

A New Sidewalk, Again Broken
About fifteen years ago I fell on my face over a broken sidewalk at that corner and walked in the dark to the Emergency Room at Tacoma General Hospital.  Just then I had a very few hours work at the Tacoma University of Washington Branch Library while I also had a newspaper route.  The following morning I got up and delivered the newspapers.   At one time, one of the newspaper customers lived in that building.  It had not been the fault of the trees that I fell.  I rode my bicycle past the trees many times and their resin stuck slightly to my tires.  But those trees were welcome shade and I felt powerfully good about them. 
Beautiful Trees During Project
This summer fires east of the mountains caused a day of air filled with drifted smoke.  And the building project was a part of the summer.   I did think their plan was to include the old trees.  The trees found their way into a selfie – the project looked good from a heavily traveled corner, and the trees were such a part of the project looking good.

Lovely Appearance
 I do not know why, but it happens.  I had a small tree of my own, this year I transplanted it too late, into a pot it should have had sooner.  It went into shock ,  part of it is dead now.  I am not that successful in the garden.  The fact is, this morning they took the great large trees away, and I have to accept it was the end of their lifespan. 

My tree after and before, with
Photos of Orange Smokey Sun

No comments: