Saturday, December 21, 2013

Husmodern #52, 1938 - Julius Wellhagen's Everyday Cure of Souls, with illustrations

Julius Wellhagen: I can not give you the old recipe : to be still, to dream by candlelight , to rest yourself , etc. The now pulls an all the power .

The Husmodern Subscription I have was in part a gift to my mother from her Aunt, Faster Emilie, the gift began at the start of 1937 and ended two issues in to 1939.  (Another subscription began in the late 1940s.) Included is an article about the visit to the United States by Kyrkoherde Wellhagen and a return to Julius Wellhagen in their last 1938 number.  Then the magazine begins a series of meditations by him.  Below I include the translation by Google of his December article. 
EVERYDAY CURE OF SOULS
Husmodern (The housewife) , no. 52 1938 Page 31
" Only the religious man is modern ," says Reverend Wellhagen
Everyday pastoral care becomes the subject of a series of articles , written specifically for the housewife of the vicar , theol Lic . Julius Welhagen Överum . Already in his introduction below to get a firm, safeguarding the feeling that behind Erden is a man who speaks and thinks independently of dogma, a Christian man who has a deep and extensive theological and social knowledge unites modern , practical outlook on life. The teachings he represents and the help he offers is aimed at everyday people, like Jesus' own preaching did. That there is a deep need of just this kind of religious illumination of the everyday problems of life do we have long ago received evidence on the amount of letters to the editor from weary , doubting , anxiously inquiring people , who in their vicinity miss someone to turn to
( new column )
or perhaps not be able to confide in directly to a human. For them - and for us all to crave something tangible for the soul while we strive in our borgertliga nutrition - should this new title in Husmodern in 1939 to be of inestimable value . And with that , we leave the floor to the vicar Wellhagen , who call this his first article for
We need to speak out with one another.
When I wanna talk about high matters and deep questions , I call the reader non fellow Christian , non sister , non jordevandrerska but in short, you .
I myself am a priest. But do not think of my name. It is my intent and my words shall speak to you. I am not the town priest , or the opposite , non- fashion preacher for the day or a särgångare , non- high-church or lågkyrklig , neither one or the other group one . I am simply a Christian without AFFECTATION and manners . But I 'll say this , I want to give you something of the spiritual security , some are UTI concepts äktkriset and äktsvenskt .
I suppose you sometimes found Christianity heavy, hard to understand , incomprehensible. Just like myself. A book of self- testimony of Moses and Jeremiah over Paul. Augustinius , Luther , and Soderblom would convince you of religion stumbling blocks. During my student years at the University , I had incomprehensibly difficult to be edified by what priests , professors and preachers preach . They were good men all of them, but actually I do not remember more of what made an impression on me
( new column )
than I could nedtckna (down cover?) at quarter past one sheet - a spiritually white leaves by sphagnum time? By no means . A thousand times no means .
I felt that life path went right through my life , straight ignenom those of a critical student rather gray söndagardna , right through the ancient wisdom saturated cathedral. And what was! The road did about everything : little things turned into context , coincidences of life lines, discouragement to joy and happiness to deep and salutary woe, threw away discarded burden on the heart , and put on new ones. And what was the Strangest of all: they were carried away by such a man was , forward, upward . One day was not like the other. Christianity was a miracle of a small poor human lives. Since then I've learned to understand two things. One : only the modern man can be religious and only the religious man 's mother. The second : I have to dedicate so much of Christianity, that my spirit can give, but no more , if I may be lucky in that I thus owns.
I can not give you the old recipe : to be still, to dream by candlelight , to rest yourself , etc. The now pulls an all the power . Home , associations, tasks and professions from spawning to special interests pushing förvärsarbete require Dig. You are no longer the quiet schalettgumman but set to struggle burning and grim earnest. It is impossible to rule world escape. And it would be a little religious to deny you the lovely parcel to tighten             ( Cont. a page . 48. )
forces , fight, work , operate the trowel in the world , faith, hope , burn.
But your world is often gray , monotonous, kompliderad . You need help. For weary mothers have we rest home . For worn souls needful something , but it is allowed to be effective , practical, reaching down to you, where you walk and stand . I do not think you come to church or meeting house in the first blow . Nor are you particularly helped with that someone forced you Christianity.
Backwardness and were yourself ! Clear up that thing with your inner world !
You are interested , doubting , wondering in religious matters . Well, always something .
Outside my window shoot twelve rose stalls out roundel . One of them sends out final rose even in December. You agree well with me that it'll be the rose circle and not a blast cluttered potato . Right now as I type gleams evening star forward of the mountains. The gaze is drawn there, I do not know why.
You do not subscribe to all that the Bible says , rebelling against much of the Doctrine of the Faith . To say nothing of deeper things such as the concepts of sin , forgiveness, and the like. 
 Quite right ! Great theologians have had to stop at several points in the Bible , wonder and reverence go by. What mankind bold mountaineers in the spiritual discovery the world has not been able , let us everyday people resolutely let be.
You can find Christian guardians be imperfect , maybe something worse .
Quite right !
Ock though: by all the contradictions and objections approach to my everyday life , my soul wants to be herself , a wonderful power. It is Christianity itself , expressed in everyday problems , illuminating and explaining the often complicated present. We understand better ourselves, we first Christianity and unremarkable life better , about our everyday problems begin to be cleared up .
There are everyday problems that we openly and honestly talk about school . Julius Wellhagen

No comments: