Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Eight-Pointed Stars In A Quilt



Yesterday I got off the bus along bus way and shopped - an hour and a half later I was getting an express to the University District inside the Pioneer Square Tunnel. It turned out I could not find the Paper Zone but had the luck of at long last going inside the Pacific Iron and Metal Fabric Store. In the long ago day, ads would be on the radio for their sales. In the fabric store a clerk explained that the Paper Zone had closed a couple of months before. Another outlet of Paper Zone closed at Tacoma Central - I got recycled envelopes there. Well, it was great to climb the old-fashioned stairway to the fabric store and look around at all their bolts of fabric. Their building is like a landmark along the row of outlets south of the Sports stadium. I found a blog called Spare Time (For Sewing) - which has quilt blocks like blocks that were with my mother's things. The blog writer explains her quilt was from her family in the 1930s - and I was sure the quilt blocks I have are also from the 1930s. My mother or another family member may have made the quilt blocks - I think it might be possible the fabric was from their traveling in Finland and Sweden.

No comments: