Saturday, November 30, 2019

Twenty Years Ago Today


On Facebook a Facebook Friend wants to know what people were doing twenty years ago today.  Since 1987, twelve years, I had been on the third floor of a brick apartment building.  I wrote a first diary entry in a new blank book that begins November 30, 1999.  The entry was a very first entry in a new blank book diary. 

Tuesday  November 30, 1999
Oh, I am weary of skipping my mind through the arbitrary days events to guess how to start off some entry again – all of it feels like I can begin anywhere.
An old 5-year diary with almost no entries is about watching television programs at Grandma’s.  The whole just did not go too far.
In Seattle are marches against the World Trade Organization.
I am steaming sweet potato (diced) in my nice revereware steamer.  (Now this reminds me of some of the letters from Scandinavia.  How the news information is distracted – in the letter – with up to the minute household descriptions.)  I am making Sweet Potato Vinaigrette.  Somehow all the historical domestic recollections are so –

(I also noted down the day elsewhere, and that day I delivered newspapers for an hour and a quarter.  I spent just a quarter of an hour writing the diary entry.  And I worked from two to four at the hourly library worker job I had found at the University of Washington Tacoma Branch. Both jobs started about six months before, I delived newspapers for five and nearly one-half years.)

1 comment:

JasminePierce said...

Hi Laura,

This is Jasmine, whom left a comment on a post you made back in November 2019. I was reminiscing on "Four Summer Outfits" with which I spent so much time. I am tickled to check in on your blog and read your fascinating entries. My email is notamunk42@gmail.com if you are interested in reading the essay I wrote.

Happy blogging!