Thursday, October 8, 2015

Greyhound High School Travel, 1966, and Roseburg, Oregon

I use public transit, walk, or ride a bicycle.  My small experience with Roseburg, Oregon, is from Greyhound.  When a friend and I went to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, Oregon, in 1966, our friend and her mother and father continued to California, while we two got the Greyhound bus back to Tacoma.   

It was a long, hot trip.  There was a little restroom in the back, I wore a shift dress with browns, reds and oranges that went with a basket purse.  The driver announced there was a dinner break at Roseburg.  And I remember everyone descended to a cafeteria, a little cafe, at the Greyhound depot.   

A basket purse 1960s, from Etsy
So Roseburg has remained in my travel memories from High School, and I am sure in many travel memories of those who used Greyhound.  When I looked up the Greyhound station at Roseburg, Oregon, on Google Earth Street Views, a mini-drama shows a bus stopped at the permanently closed Greyhound depot and there is a person with luggage just up the street.  A McMenamin's Restaurant has restored an historic building nearby.  

There are some resources on the internet for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival from the 1960s.  Outside in the dark at the theater costumed dancers performed close into the audience before the play began, we did not see the featured play that season, A Midsummer Night's Dream.  I believe we saw Two Gentlemen of Verona. 

No comments: