Saturday, November 22, 2014

Diary of Linnea Gord, Nineteen-Year-Old Piano Accompanist, June 28th, 1930

Lauri Kristian Relander, the President of Finland, happened to be in Vasa, Finland, on the day Linnea Gord, nineteen-year-old piano accompanist, went to town to meet her friend Edith Somppi:

SATURDAY, JUNE 28TH, 1930 -     I got up at about seven to get ready for the eight o'clock bus.  I was half-sleeping and half-dressed when Mrs. Malm came to the door and told me I'd better hurry because the bus left at 7:30 on Saturdays.  Then did I wake up!  I caught the bus, too.  I got to Vasa at 8:30 and I had an hour to wait before I would meet Edith.  I went into a restaurant and got a cup of coffee and then decided to walk around torget to kill time.  There seemed to be quite a bit of excitement around there, and soon I noticed that there was to be a parade or something.  Soldiers came marching up the street from the railroad station, and the street was lined on both sides with children holding flags.  Then the President of Finland came marching up the street with a lot of other big bugs.  I had come in to town on the right day, I guess, as they don't have much excitement like that very often in Vasa.
I met Somppis at about 9:30.  Edith and I first went and bought some candy and then went to a music store.  I wanted to get "Ty Lysar de Stjärnor" but they didn't have it.  Then I asked for "När Brollops Klockar Ringar", but they asked 24 marks for it, and I thought that was too much.  Edith laughed at my attempts to talk Swedish.  I made them understand what I wanted, at least.
We spent the afternoon at Edith's uncle's place.  We had plenty to talk about and the afternoon was soon gone.  Mr. Somppi and Edith and Helen took me to the bus.  (They are leaving for Helsingfors on Monday, so I guess I won't see them until we get back to old U.S.A.)
Malm Farm 1930
When I came home, I found everybody out.  The girls were at Sjölunds and Aunti was in Åminneborg, so I decided to go for a bicycle ride by my lonesome.  That evening, after supper, we all worked in the limonad factory.  It was a lot of fun, because we all danced and sang and laughed.  After we were through working, which was at about 11 o'clock, we had tea a biscuits and then went to bed.

No comments: