Friday, August 30, 2013

Centralia Visit - or, Wednesday (of Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday)


The Chinese Reconciliation Pagoda can be seen
from the train as it goes through Old Town










The Adult Summer Reading Club Groundbreaking Reads totebag (with  longer handles and landscape instead of portrait position) was great for a lunch and bus schedule booklet and jacket on my train ride to Centralia Wednesday.  On the way out I dropped crushed cans in the dumpster and still had the plastic bag.  It rained a little at the Tacoma Dome Station, I covered my hat with the plastic bag for the walk to the Amtrak Station.   

In the Station I tried to snap a photo of the rather old luggage cart and re-read the Time Magainze article about how from one in ten to one in five people who are bypassing kids.  On the train I sat in seats arranged only one seat one behind another. By taking the train to have lunch with my relatives at a restaurant in Centralia,  I could avoid a long ride in a car and could look around Centralia.  The Chinese Reconciliation Pagoda can be seen from the train as it goes through old town.    
Model of Carnegie Library and Park at Centralia
Historic Marker for Centralia Founder
Centralia's founder was an African-American whose name was George Washington and the downtown park was part of his original homestead.  At the Carnegie Library they allowed me to take a snapshot of a tiny model of the park and library, I liked the proportions of the model and the sunshine was lovely.  After lunch we spent some time in antique stores.  Then it was all right with me to rest in the train station until the train.  It was not the Coast Starlight, sometimes the long-distance train is delayed, it was the corridor train, slightly delayed about fifteen minutes, from I think Eugene, Oregon. 

No comments: