Monday, July 29, 2013

Summer Reading Club - Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children"s Book: Life Lessons from Notable People from All Walks of Life, Edited by Anita Silvey

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children"s Book: Life Lessons from Notable People from All Walks of Life, Edited by Anita Silvey, is a special book because it is large, opens to 11 by 17. With the exerpts from the chosen books are many beautiful illustrations. An exerpt from a book centers on a pastel ground at the left hand page, the pastel continues as a 1/3 column of the right hand page, and in that 1/3 column is a book synopsis and a thumbnail of the book's cover. The rest of the right hand page has the comment by the Notable Person who read the book. First is Leonard Marcus, who read Profiles In Courage, and last is Jerry J. Mallett, who read The 21 Balloons. Notes on Contributors follow, arranged alphabetically with other indexes and booklists. Bert Vogelstein, a professor of oncology at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, wrote he learned from Miss Pickerel Goes to Mars  "to keep my brain free for the important stuff." Under Laura Ingalls Wilder I see "It is clear that Wilder collaborated with her daughter Rose Wilder Lane, a ghostwriter by trade, to achieve a finished manuscript." Over many years I have read about this collaboration, I did not know of this when I first read the books. Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book is a beautiful volume.

No comments: