Monday, April 8, 2013

Annette Funicello

A few years back I enjoyed reading the Hollywood Autobiography about Annette - "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes" I saw a television Mickey Mouse Club serial also, a few years back, and watched on video.  It seemed so very familiar. 

It was a while before I realized that our comic collection included Walt Disney's Annette, an interesting story that I read several times.  Print was ahead of the screen for the Mickey Mouse Club at our house - when I was a child we did not get television until I was in fifth grade.  Just a couple of years before that, my grandmother got a television. And of course there were neighbors.  I am so sorry to learn about the death of Annette Funicello.

1 comment:

Angela Sorby said...

Dear Laura Jensen,


The AWP is in Seattle this year, and I am assembling a panel in memory of Nelson Bentley. I wonder if you would be interested in participating? I can't see a way to contact you directly, so I am resorting to the "comments" section of your blog and pasting the description below.

Very warmest regards,
Angela Sorby

Teaching Memory: A Tribute to Nelson Bentley

Nelson Bentley was one of the most important teachers and mentors in the history of Pacific Northwest poetry. When he died he left behind a vast network of published poets, from Tess Gallagher to Roger Fanning to James Wright. Bentley, who had studied with W.H. Auden, was an accomplished poet in his own right, but his most important legacy was an almost superhuman dedication to his students--a legacy that deserves further analysis. This panel will bring together a handful of Bentley’s former students, not just to sing his praises but to articulate how, and why, he was such an influential teacher of creative writing.