Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Old Customs Building of Marieham

When I included a photo from 1930 in my blog in 2010 I found no image of the building shown anywhere. During some discussions recently about MLK one intern, Nicholas Richter, recognized the building in my photograph. He could show me the building from Google Maps. On Google Maps I located a group with a Facebook Page with a photo of the building you located. On Facebook I asked about the building and they sent this answer: “The house you are referring to is the old customs building of Mariehamn (tullhuset or tullpackhuset in Swedish). If I am correctly informed it was built in 1899 and the name of the architect is Lars Sonck. It is beautiful, isn't it!” (Ålands fredsinstitut - The Åland Islands Peace Institute.)



Lars Sonck is listed on Wikipedia as a leading architect of Finnish Romanticism, architect of Kallio Church in Helsinki and Tampere Cathedral, as well as the home of Sibelius.

No comments: