Wednesday, June 27, 2012

In MLK Subarea Until The Mid-Sixties, There Was A Synagogue

My sister and I rode with our mother in the Chevy, the green Chevy or after 1961 the Chevy Biscayne.  One ride brought us from the church parking lot, gravel, later asphault, three left turns then past the front of the church, past the park on the way back home.  Over weeks during 2012 so far I have participated in some events about Martin Luther King Way as a Subarea slated for density.  In the area is First Lutheran Church. 


While I listened at Listen Live At Lunch I thought I could explain by linking to Ernest Bloch's On Jewish Life that we passed a synagogue on this trip.  The synagogue had a star of David in the brickwork.  It was late in the 1960s that the synagogue moved to 12th Street near Tacoma Community College.  The building on I Street was called Temple Sinai, according to Temple Beth El, and was built in 1925.



Ernest Bloch wrote Jewish Life in 1925 in Cleveland.

No comments: