Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I Have Walked, or Used Public Transportation of Used a Bike

I have never owned a car. Elizabeth Alexander, who wrote the inaugural poem was interviewed at the Indianapolis Star. In one part of the narrative she said, I remember a time when I pulled the car over to the side of the road because I wanted to jot something down...Women, I have read, have believed the automobile has empowered them. Recent analysis has been that women are more burdened by car-dependency than empowered by cars, are chauffering people and on the highway too much. There are people who dislike this poem - inevitably there has to be a confusion as it is discussed because of the topic and because of the car-dependency. My impression was that her voice sounded out clear and musical and that I understood the topic and the refrain and felt interested in reading it later. I am concerned about the issue of car-dependency and I walk.

No comments: