Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Women Without Children

In the nineteen-nineties articles occasionally were in the news about non-parent response to parents demands for special treatment in the workplace. The content has been about non-parents having lives that require attention, just as parents have dependents who need them. When a parent I worked with skipped a meeting that mattered to me to drive her daughter to college, I noticed it. In the library collection I have noticed only a few titles about non-parents, a book called Women Without Children. One recent article about census describes the generation now 40 to 45 representing an increase in the number of women without children - doubled from the small ten percent in my generation born right after World War Two. There is a paper on the internet about this. I want to link to it without having read it completely - it is about making decisions about mothering in the life course. The author, Grace Eileen Scrimgeour, M.A. Loyola, concludes that "further work is needed in this area to look at whether attitudes in wider society toward 'obligatory motherhood' are changing in the U.S."

No comments: