Thursday, January 10, 2008

When I visited the american swedish museum in 1997, when I asked about the restroom I was shown to a basement social hall. Just inside the restroom door I found the light switch, and was in the dim beginning of a familiar gradual glow. The ceiling had a number of fixtures to hold bulbs, and all of these had been filled with a Philips Earth Light.

I bought two Philips Earth Lights thirteen years ago. I paid 37 dollars for these, different prices on different days in January 1995. Now one of these is gone - it was in a lamp and it tipped and fell over, the sound I heard was a small but sad snap. I knew that Earth Light had broken.

If I divide the total cost of the two bulbs, I figure I have paid a dollar and forty-two cents per year to use each bulb.

But I realize the light should be recycled. And that it is a hazard and contains mercury. One website really provides recycling facilities listed by zip code - the ceiling of the american swedish museum in Philadephia is quite ornate, but the eco concern matters. It was not a long visit, I was to catch my train again in the afternoon, I checked the bag and took the subway to the museum in the south part of the city.

When a bulb lasts for thirteen years it is special, and the other earth bulb is of course still working. The ceiling at the museum basement must still be working as well.

No comments: