Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Photos of Olga Malm and Linnea Gord, and Diary Entries


"The woman we visited is great-grandmother's sister.  We had too much coffee, as usual.  We went back to town to collect all of our packages."   wrote Linnea Gord in an earlier blog entry, July 3, 1930.  The photo of the visit was probably taken by Linnea Gord, and written on the back is "Lena Klockars and Mrs. Boge at Vasa".  Linnea Gord took many pictures.  Olga Malm, the daughter of Linnea's Great-Uncle, also took many pictures.  A number of the pictures appear in both albums.  After they were back in Tacoma, clearly they got photo copies from negatives and shared.
Lena Klockars - sister of
Linnea Gord's Great-Grandmother


MONDAY, JULY 7TH, 1930 - MALAX 

I woke up early because my legs bothered me.  I decided I wouldn't stay in bed, so I got up and dressed.  I went outside and didn't find anybody, so I went back into the bedroom, where Auntie and the girls were sleeping peacefully.  Then I proceeded to go back to sleep.  Later in the afternoon, we had a thunder storm, and the boys were hurrying like sixty to get the hay in.

Elsie Brann (a girl from California who was staying in Malax) was over in the evening but only stayed for a few minutes.  Gustaf  had a new bicycle and I went for a ride on it that evening. 

TUESDAY, JULY 8TH, 1930 - MALAX 

Today was a rainy nasty day.  We had dinner at Sjolunds in the evening and had a lovely time, although it didn't last long.

Choir Rehearsal at Minor, N.Dakota.
This is only in Olga Malm's album.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 9TH, 1930 

The girls left for Orawais this morning, so it was kind of quiet all day.  I washed most of the morning and in the afternoon Auntie and I walked to the shoemaker and to the parsonage.  The old pastor was there, not the young one.  I was bored. 

Went to Elsie's later in the afternoon and we went swimming in the river.  It was real nice, although it was rather windy.  Elsie had a novel bathing suit--her silk slip.  We had some chocolate and cake at Elsie's place and then we drove up to get my shoes.  They were fixed nicely and I only had to pay four marks for the fixin" (about 10¢).  On the way back we met Pastor Malmsten (he is the young pastor) and chatted with him for a while.  He is very nice.  Young, good looking and all that. 

I received a flower from an "admirer" that evening.  The flower was a cactus bloom, very pretty, and the man was a gentleman from Malax.  I get a great kick out of him.  He calls me "Olga" all the time.  He says I look like my name should be "Olga" and he won't call me anything else.

No comments: