Saturday, March 23, 2019

Big Project From North Slope District

Large Tree They Saved

Last autumn I read with others at a celebration of Madeline Defrees collection of essays.  The book was titled Subjective Geographies, from one essay that had been included in an anthology from the 1980s.  I had an essay in the same anthology, my essay was titled “Stars and Streetlights”.  I read from the Defrees essay at the celebration and spoke about how I had happened to know Madeline Defrees.
Plans for the event coincided with a Facebook save the tree alert from my neighborhood from the 1980s.  I lived at an apartment in one house for about six years and my books Memory (1982) and Shelter (1985) were published while I lived there.  

I moved.  My bike rides took me along different streets.  Last autumn I walked to the Facebook tree location and took my own photo of the tree. 
Wide Area For Large Tree
Farther along I noticed that another tree was marked and I brought this to the attention at the North Slope District facebook.  I emailed the large project then followed progress and notified the Facebook group different times.  But the decision went against keeping the smaller flowering tree.  Now the tree would have been flowering, it is gone and some grass and cement replaces it – although the tree was supposed to become replaced, according to the project plans. 
Today I took photos of what the project did at that place, North 8th and North K in the North Slope District.

Telephone Pole
where tree removed

No comments: