Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Social Presence in the Pacific Northwest

Paul Constant at the Seattle Review of Books writes in "The Patron Poets of Open Books" that I am socially present in the Northwest, but Robert Sund was present in the Northwest with intense nature involvement.  It is an interesting comment, and I wonder how the intense contrast can be viewed. 

I met Robert Sund two times, once in San Francisco in association with Intersection, a literary group, and once when the Distinguished Poet Series arranged for Robert Sund to give a poetry reading at the Pantages Rehearsal Room in downtown Tacoma.  His opening reader was Deborah Miranda. 

Paul Constant places me at one end and Robert Sund at the other end of a line with all the other Northwest Poets in between on this intense Northwest nature involvement versus Social Presence Northwest involvement.  A lot of concrete near bus stops at the side of the road allots me the claim that I have never owned a car.  I have ridden a bicycle in Tacoma for over twenty-five years.  However, Robert Sund owned his own shack, I understand, from which he could roam in the woods, so if I am the phantom of the opera he was Snow White.

No comments: