Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Creature From The Black Lagoon Featured On A Poetry Website

My poem Creature From The Black Lagoon is featured on a poetry website just now from Seattle.  The poem Creature from the Black Lagoon recreates a child frightened by The Creature that followed them home from the movie and hid in her closet.  Her inconsolable fear frightens the other child who runs for their mother.   The poem recreates for me a fear I held onto for so many years, and for different reasons thoughts about the past are an important part of life for me. 

I could rely on my parents and admire the younger people they had been.  It has been over thirty years since Dragon Gate published Shelter, during these years I have shoplifted time away from the big cash registers to spend with thoughts about my parents’ letters, papers, and photographs.  So I became bold and looked up Creature From The Black Lagoon at the Proctor Theater in newspaper microfilm to realize my mother probably brought us over to see the other feature,  Broken Lance, with Robert Wagner.  Robert Wagner portrayed a half-breed, Native American and American White, during a range war between the sheep and the cattlemen.  
 
I wish to share a 30-second video today on Facebook.  If I share the video it saves the video to some degree.  My video is about a jar with a partly ruined diary inside it.  I included the University of Washington Tyee from 1968 and books of poems I had from my first year at the U of Washington.  I impulsively set the diary on fire in 1968,  perhaps recreating the burning of a town on a junior high school relief map from our garage.  The town had a river, a huge castle on a promontory, trees, and more.  The fire was a solution to its slow decay on top of the ping pong table. 

I immediately saw I did not want to do this to the diary, so I put it out and saved it inside a mason jar.  My idea about old papers, old letters, is to save them.  Some of the entries could be partly read, mostly about 1961 to 1963 in Junior High School.  (My oil paint set was a birthday gift not a Christmas present.)  I had brought the diary out again to write about a May, 1966 trip to Ellensburg with history classmates for the Model United Nations.    The Model United Nations trip by bus with classmates was fifty years ago in May.

No comments: