Friday, July 24, 2015

At The Garage Sale A Newspaper From Today

My mother told a story about
her first job here when she was a girl
Another researchable past moment happens as I find the history of the tavern on I Street near Wright’s Park, called the Parkway, has other dates than what I would have supposed.  When I was a child and my mother drove past she told the story of how the grocery business in the building when she was just thirteen was where she had her first job.  There were candy boxes with hidden colors inside some of the chocolates; if your box turned out to have a hidden color you got another one free.
But she was only thirteen in 1924.  Anyway, researching the reference in Tacoma Times April 13, 1935, affords at least a great cartoon of Why Mother’s Get Gray.
Why Mothers Get Gray   -   Two kids wrestle on a stair landing, each grasps on to the same item.
Girl:  The light bulb in his room wouldn’t light so he sneaked into my room and traded with me, and I caught him in the act.
Boy: Tell her it all – before that, yours wouldn’t light, so you sneaked in an’ traded with me, is why mine wouldn’t light.
Mother:  Well, do you expect that one to light when you get through there?
It works as an example of “framing” – the girl reports about the brother’s behavior, but he reports that she has left out part of the important story.
At the First Lutheran Church estate/garage sale a copy of today's News Tribune featured the Parkway Tavern and it's 80th Anniversary.  It was a grocery before it was a taern.  What was the grocery business at the address in the 1920s?  The library closes in only a while.  Tomorrow, back to the garage sale.

No comments: