Monday, June 8, 2015

Four Links to Comments I Have Made About Density

The essay, a coda in this anthology,
describes the Proctor District briefly
This blog post is written to offer links to posts I have done about density.  After graduate school I began to live in Tacoma in small apartments, and often I visited my parents in the Proctor District.  It has been over twenty-five years since those times, presently I sometimes read a poem at the Open Mike at King’s Books. The first link I offer is to an essay published on-line at Salt River Review.  This spring it was included, as a coda, in an anthology called In Like Company,  I describe the Proctor District briefly in this essay.

During the effort in 2012 for the MLK Subarea Plan, I sent in comments and attended an open house workshop.  These blogs posts are from May 23, 2012, and February 10, 2012.
The future will require people to repair, restore and maintain buildings, because truly there are more and more buildings that age every day.  So, any new project, whatever else it is, also is a loss of training opportunities for re-use and restoration.  However, if we care about the ecology, we have to care about density.  The apartments I have lived in have been mostly in old houses, and as I have biked around I am fortunate that I had that opportunity.  A fourth post is an impression from last year when questions rose about the new building in the district.
There must be ways to create housing that merges the old with the new creatively. 

No comments: