Thursday, June 12, 2014

Two Heads Are Better Than One - Old Adage


My thought was the thought of permanent waves.   The thought of the houses was different and  was brought to my concern.  After my sister and two cousins had lunch on June 4th, my cousin drove past Mason, and she pointed out the houses. 

Many people know that at a Proctor District house originated the Washington State Women’s suffrage movement.  Tacoma Historical Society raises awareness about the antique treasures.

The structures going for an apartment building are smaller and more modest, and do not offer historic note, so do we deprive smaller, less ornamented structures importance?   These houses are listed at the Main Library at the Pacific Northwest Room Buildings Index.

Fifty years ago I left Mason Junior High.  My math class was in an old house on Proctor. We walked in the back door.  Proctor lost the 1924 building, demolished in 2001.  In an earlier design, Mason demolished the repurposed houses.  Now three other houses are to be removed for density apartments.

Clusters of old houses could be repurposed as hybrid housing. Old buildings where I rented after college, now antiques, are no longer inexpensive.
Where the photo booth
was, probably a school
festival.  Jr. High.

I walked past, watched waves of ivy on the roof approach the porch rhododendron.  My thoughts then were partly caused by my cousin’s concern, so I need to add, houses, both large and small. 

My thought was about permanent waves.  My mother phoned Mr. Lee’s beauty school downtown, I would take the bus to have a permanent in Junior High School.  At a point each time the student paused, a piece of my fine hair in her fingers, to call with calm for the supervisor.  Together they would agree that my hair did not take a perm.  So they left the chemicals in for a long time. 

Both large and small, in kitchens of houses, I need to add to the thought I was having.  My thought was of how home permanents were boxed in the fifties.  Thrifty women saved the curlers.  A box had enough chemicals for two short-hair perms.  The gray air at the kitchen window, my mother and Aunt Pearl took turns winding their short haircuts around the two sets of curlers and squeezing on the chemicals.  This might be Satuday when I was in the early grades.

No comments: