Friday, February 10, 2012

Corsage



CORSAGE - to the Order of Runeberg



The freezer holds only a few things.


Fewer as it makes its ermine muff of frost,


as it becomes time, and overtime, to defrost.


The shelves hold a few things. At the back



on the lowest slab with the margarine,


my withered corsage, red carnation:


I dressed in black, and went on the bus


to a motor hotel downtown, where were gathered



members of the Order of Runeberg. We may never


reveal their secrets; but we learned none


as we settled the kitchen of the Valhalla Temple,


spread tables with paper from a heavy roll,



laid the cups together, a field of rocks on the counter,


layered the sandwiches on thick platters.


Or if someone forgot, we were asked to button up


and run down the block for Half & Half.



As we walked past the locked dance hall


we peered through the cracks into the big dark there,


then down the stairs to the street, past the tavern,


the closed shops, empty window of a bakery,



to the Food King, holding the money


in a pocket in a warm shut fist.


Later an older woman you could trust


released the fragrance from the can of coffee,



it rose to the high ceiling, she


spilled some into cheesecloth, twisted the ends


and lowered the white into the speckled boiling pot.


Not long after that, the meeting would end.



At the motor hotel, on a rolling board


were pictures of the Order of Runeberg. I found


myself there, a small blonde, her face


turning inward, her hand on her mouth.



And the house I lived in,


my grandma on the porch long before I was born -


her guitar, her white blouse. The occasion


was the forming of the chapter of the Order of Runeberg.



That night I talked. To my sister, to my mother.


Fingered the fringe of her flowered shawl.


My carnation, a twenty-five-year carnation


was red. That night I did not dance.



The corsage stares now at the white


or the black, when I open the door or shut it.


And when I defrost into daylight it comes.


What comes to it then is a matter of chance.



But I wish I had a nickel


for every time I've climbed these stairs.


My mother with her satchel, the financial


secretary climbing the stairs to the Valhalla Temple.

No comments: