Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Sounds of Chlorine

Water Adjustment in the 1950s was at the YWCA pool in Tacoma.  The city pool was larger, the pool at Wilson was larger. The pool I took swimming classes in at the U. of Washington was larger.  Last Wednesday I did some microfilm research at the U. of Washington in Seattle.  At the desk they explained one of my references was in the stacks at the Drama Library beyond the quad, at Hutchinson.  The black design on the map among the other designs was clearly Hutchinson, the women's physical education building where I participated in, apart from the swim lessons, The Swim Marathon, in a small pool, a pool like the YWCA in Tacoma.   

So at Hutchinson after visiting at the Drama Library stacks, I asked if the pool was still there.  Then if they could show me to an exit where the pool used to be.  This was nearby, and as the library worker showed me through the hallways, he explained which part had been the pool, which part had been the locker room.  However, as he explained his voice sounded into the ceiling with resonance, it was as though the pool were still there. 

That sound to me, in those spaces, the Y, the city pool, the Wilson pool, and at Hutchinson, always had meant there was a pool there.  Can I have to accept that, instead, the sound had something to do with the ceiling?

No comments: